My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Monday, September 26, 2011

Adventures with a Boa

Barbossa had a bit of an adventure yesterday.
He somehow, for some reason, decided he'd been in his cage long enough. It was time for something new. I ascended the stairs with his mice, but he was not in his cage. Unusual, no, unheard of.
How did my shy baby get the courage to attempt a daring escape?

I scoured the room, knowing he couldn't leave because he couldn't get his coils past the door. I found him under the large, large bookcase. He'd gotten underneath and was curled up, happy in his new, if constrained hiding spot. I prodded him gently, but nothing. I would have to move the bookcase, but it's not an easy affair when it is as tall as the room, and packed with books.

So I calle dthe cavalry, my mom and dad. They'd recently bought one of those thingies (see the technical term?) to prod furniture up to place sliding pads underneath, so we used it to carefully lift the bookcase. I cannot describe the scene that ensued, my dad pushing the bookcase up, my mom sticking books underneath to keep it propped up, and I, with my hands under the bookcase, playing a game of catch-me-if-you-can with Barbossa. I grabbed him by the tail, but he was knotted up in his own coils, so I had to keep turning him, unwinding him like a scarf, until finally, with one more tug, he came free.
We were all sweaty and tired, but he looked none the worse for wear, if a bit sheepish. Yes, snakes can look sheepish.
So that was my Sunday afternoon. Interesting, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment