My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Morning Madness

I walked into the library/snake room this morning and encountered something interesting. Topkapi was crawling all over, investigating every corner of her cage. She raised her body up and flicked her tongue out at her heat lamp, which I had just turned on. I expected the shenanigans to stop with me around, but I sat on the floor to watch her for a good ten minutes before she decided to go inside her hiding place and sleep. What the hell was she doing?
She's usually hyper like that only during the night, when all the lights are turned off, but never during the day. She is nocturnal, after all.
I have a couple of theories.
There are two cats in the room with all the snakes. These cats get quite hyper at night aas well. They play around like crazy and this morning they were still playing when I went in. So, either Topkapi wanted to see what all the commotion was about OR she wanted to get out of the cage and strangle both cats so she could sleep. With her, it's a toss up.

I have a pound cake in the oven, which already smells pretty fabulous. Here's the recipe:

1 cup butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
4 eggs
2 tbsp. honey
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. orange extract
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Beat butter, sugar. Add eggs one at a time, then the extracts and the honey.
Sift flour with salt and baking powder. Add slowly to the wet ingredients, beat until smooth.
Place in prepared pan of choice. Bake at 350 F. for 50-60 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment