My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Thursday, March 18, 2010

Confused in Wonderland

This morning I went down to the garage where I keep Talulah, Tybalt, and Damascus. Since it's been pretty cold these past few days I have to keep the cages heated with red heat lamps. I doubt there's anyone out there who doesn't know that snakes are cold-blooded, but I'll explain it anyway. Cold blooded simply means they can't regulate their own temperature so they depend on the environment to provide the right levels to survive. If it's too cold they'll die and if it's too hot they'll die. For the scorching Miami summers I have an air conditioner installed in the garage, and for the winters I have the heat lamps. During the day they have regular light bulbs, since, unlike other reptiles, snakes don't need UVB light. For the night they have the special red lamps because these don't affect their light/dark schedule. They can't see red light.
Anyway, I went down to the garage to switch the regular lights on, and I see Damascus in the "S" position. When a snake gets in this position it's a pretty good bet that someone is going to get bitten. I know my babies really well, so I recognized his behavior as "I want food". But why did he think he was going to get fed, especially that early in the morning?
Topkapi does the same thing. I feed her at night because she is nocturnal, and she has gotten into the habit of expecting food EVERY DAY at sundown. Snakes do not eat every day, some of them don't eat for weeks at a time, so I have no idea why she does that. My guess, she's a spoiled brat, which is why I love her.
I also finished a little shawl-like blanket for CocoRosie. I've been knitting it for a while and I finished it just in time for this next cold front that's coming. It's very warm and soft, so there shouldn't be any complaints from the hissing department.

Today, after my acting class and rehearsal for a play I'm part of, my sister and I went to the movies to see Alice in Wonderland. The comments on this movie have been varied. The critics have not been kind, while some people really like it. Others hate it. I am in the latter category. I don't know if it was the hype that ruined it. It was inflated so much by the previews that it was bound to let people down. But I don't think that was the only thing: in my opinion the script was ridiculous and the acting laughable. Not even Johnny Depp could save it. I usually love his and Helena Bonham Carter's acting but I couldn't stand them today. He did the same things he always does, and I didn't see the Mad Hatter, I saw Johnny Depp in a funny costume. Bonham Carter's character was repulsive and not in a good way. Usually I am rooting for the bad guys, but today I wanted that stupid character to keel over. I loved Mia Wasikowska in the show In Treatment but her acting was terrible in this movie. Granted, she didn't have much of a script to work with.
The only person that was watchable in the whole movie was, surprisingly, Anne Hathaway as the White Queen. She was a breath of fresh air in the midst of all that other dribble.
The visual effects were okay, but nothing I haven't seen before, and definitely not worth sitting through the movie to see them. Don't even get me started on the ending. Spoiler alert: Alice just comes back from Wonderland and tells her family that she will not marry the boy they'd forced on her and she WILL be an independent woman, and her family actually accepts it without a word. What Victorian England is this? Certainly not the historical anti-feminist one.
All in all not a good movie. Buy the book or watch the cartoon Disney version which is a lot more entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment