My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Friday, March 26, 2010

Feeding Frenzy Friday Part 3

I'm typing this right after feeding Topkapi. I have to keep checking on her to make sure that she grabbed the mouse correctly, by the head, and has no trouble swallowing it. Some snake keepers don't do this, either from laziness or lack of experience, but the animal ends up going hungry. If the snake did not strike correctly and got hold of the mouse by the midsection, sometimes he or she will drop it to realign it. The problem with this is that if it a frozen/thawed mouse, it goes cold very quickly and then the snake can't find it. So the owner wakes up the next morning to find a cold mouse next to a very grumpy snake. Sometimes even Barbossa does this to me with his live mice. He'll kill it and for some reason drop it, then he can't find it. He has it in the middle of his coils and he has no clue where it might be. I have to distract him with one hand and grab the poor dead mouse with the other and give it to him again. It's amazing because he does remember that he already killed it, so the next time he does not strike, he just opens his mouth and takes it.
Topkapi is succesfully swallowing her food, so I am relieved. Usually she is amazong with eating, but recently she has decided that if she misses it's too much work to try again, which means I'll have an anxious night of worrying before trying again the following day. These snakes...

Ok, so on Wednesday my sister brought home an albino rat from the wildlife center she works at. They were about to euthinize him (or what's more likely, feed him to a snake or a bird of prey) so she said "Hell no, I'm taking him home".
Yes, I know, a rat in a house full of snakes (among other animals), but no I will NOT be feeding him to any of them. He is way too cute. He's obviously someone's pet, who was either abandoned or who escaped, because he is so friendly and tame. He doesn't bite, hiss or anything that might make us think he is a wild rat.
I do have to remember to wash my hands before I handle any snakes, though, because I could easily be taken as food. That would suck, especiall considering the size and number of Barbossa's teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment