My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Friday, March 12, 2010

Feeding Frenzy Friday!

Actually, it's more like everyone-waiting-for-their-turn-in-an-orderly-manner- Friday, but in my continued effort to make my life as dramatic as possible, I will keep the title. Plus, a little alliteration never hurt anyone.
Yes, today I feed all my snakes except for Barbossa. He is the only one that still eats live mice, so I have to go buy them at Petco tomorrow. All the other babies eat frozen mice. I buy in bulk and when I need them, I thaw them in warm water about a half hour and then feed to my hungry critters. Getting snakes to eat is the most challenging part of keeping them as pets. Any little change in temperature, humidity, lighting (they need 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark, so if I am a few hours off, some of the pickier ones refuse to eat) upsets them and they throw a tantrum. Which means for them "I don't want your stupid mouse" and for me "This is a perfectly good mouse, don't make me worry!".
Barbossa is the one who takes the crown for tantrums. The person who had him before I did trained him to eat live mice only. I guess he liked to see a snake kill mice every week in the comfort of this own home. I am not a fan of feeding live anything to snakes, so I tried to get him hooked on the frozen ones. He took it for a few weeks, but one day decided that he'd had enough and refused to eat it anymore. I tried for a couple more weeks, but nothing. I caved and bought a live mouse and ...nothing. He refused that too. He had me worried for about 3 months, until he decided that his hunger strike was over and took a live mouse willingly. You can imagine the relief. I was already planning intravenous feedings and was well on my way to hysteria-land. He now ONLY eats live mice. He won.
I am not posting any pictures of the snakes eating. I think it is a bit disrespectful to them, after all no one likes to be photographed with a mouth full of food.
CocoRosie was the only one today who was not in the mood to eat. She's actually looking a little chubby, so it's probably better for her anyway. She was in a pissy mood and didn't want anything to do with me, which is fair. We all have does days.
It's funny because my sister got up today, like every Friday, and went into her bathroom. And, like every Friday, there was a jar of thawing mice on the counter next to the sink. She doesn't complain, since she too deals with wild animals (her thing is birds of prey, she works as a rehab person at a wildlife center) she doesn't get disgusted. But she does comment on it sometimes.

Last night I watched an amazing movie with my parents. I had seen it a few weeks ago on the Sundance channel, and I had to have it. It's a Chinese movie called "Curse of the Golden Flower". It is a beautiful, colorful, astounding movie. The costumes alone are enough to put me in a swoon. I'm like a crow, anything shiny and colorful and I have to have it in my nest.
It is in Chinese, so if you have a dislike for subtitles this movie is not for you, but otherwise it is worth watching.
I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment