My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Friday, March 19, 2010

Feeding Frenzy Friday Part 2

Feeding day has arrived!
Actually, I just finished feeding most of the babies who eat today, except for Topkapi. She eats tonight, but her mouse is already thawing in anticipation. Everyone else took their mice with gusto and they are preparing for a good rest to digest their food. Damascus gave me a bit of trouble today. He ate the first pinkie without problem and he looked very willing to take the second one. He struck...and missed. I have noticed in my snakes, but it might be in all snakes, that if they miss when they strike they don't want to try again. Today Damascus seemed ashamed of not hitting the mouse, as if I pass out awards for "Best Aim" at the end of the year. Barbossa does it to me all the time. Since he eats live mice, many times it happens that he just misses. When I first got him, if he missed the first time that was it, game over, but now he gives it three tries. If he misses after the third strike, he refuses to try again. No matter how much I do to entice him, he hburies his head beneath his coils operatically to hide his shame. So then I have to find a container for the poor mouse or mice, and save them for the next day. I do give them a good last meal, though. The next day Barbossa USUALLY takes the mice. Sometimes the shame and trauma is just too much, and he must abstain.
They are sooo dramatic.
Damascus is a snakeling, which I'm pretty sure is not a word, but I am already seeing the same type of behaviors in him. God help us if I get one single drop of water on him. He pulls his head back as if burned and rubs his face vigorously against the paper towels in his cage. After that, he MIGHT forgive me and take the mouse, or, if the offense was too great, he will refuse for a few hours. One of these days I'll have to ask for forgiveness and do penance before he eats. I would not be the least surprised.
I took Barbossa out this morning to walk around a bit around the upstairs hallway, and he decided that he felt like going downstairs, so here is a picture of him deciding that stairs are completely doable.



Okay, so, it is the end of quiet at my house. My sister recently bought a set of drums. This morning the blessed drums were delivered and you can imagine the joy on the faces of all the family members, just thinking about the coming hours of uninterrupted banging that are on the horizon. Pray for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment