My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Masters


So these two beauties are Talulah and Tybalt. They are Sand Boas and siblings. I'm not sure how old they are, but it can't be more than a year. I doubt if they get to one year old. The pictures are not the best because they move sooo much it's impossible to get a one that is not blurry.
I take them out every other night and they are the sweetest thing. The male, Tybalt is the orange and dark brown. From the first day that I got him, he was very friendly, willing to be touched and loving to wrap himself around my fingers. You can't see it in the picture, actually you can't see his head at all, but his eyes are very strange. They are almost lopsided, both of them. Since they are sand boas, their pupils are not slits, that's only for nocturnal animals, therefore these snakes are diurnal, which means they are most active during the day.
Talulah is a beautiful white and dark brown. Her pattern reminds me of a little cow. She was a little more reticent when I first got her. She didn't bite but she also didn't seem too interested to see me or any other humans. She has completely changed now. When I take her out she crawls all over my arm, flicking out her tongue and she is very interested in who and what I am. Most of the time she crawls up my sleeve, usually of my pyjamas, and curls up, sticking her head out as if my shirtsleeve were her personal hiding place. Sometimes Tybalt does the same thing on my other arm and I have to walk around like a zombie, with my arms stretched out.
With Talulah the main problem was that she did not eat frozen mice. I tried the first couple of weeks to get her to eat and she just refused. Ordinarily, this is not such a huge issue. I go to Petco every week for Barbossa's mice anyway, so it's not something to cry over, but when snakes are so little they can't really swallow a mouse. She needs to eat pinkies, baby mice. Well, Petco doesn't sell live baby mice. Thankfully, since my sister works at a Wildlife Center, and they also keep snakes, she could contact the person who sells them the mice and get some pinkies for me. I did that for a week, and thankfully it was the only time. It is heartbreaking to have to put the little, tiny, blind, mouse inside the cage. I know, I should feel the same way about the adult mice, and I do feel bad but Barbossa's got to eat, but the baby mouse was too much. I tried the following week with a frozen pinkie, and thank all the Gods, she took it without problem. She has been eating pre-killed (not by me) baby mice alongside with her brother ever since.

Today I had my acting class. We did another assignment dealing with status called "Master and Servant". We each got a partner, randomly picked, and we were assigned either Master or Servant (it didn't really matter which because we all got to be both things). Then we had to make our servant do everything we told them. This is surprisingly easy to do, you see people getting more and more into it. There could be no sexual advances or physical harm, of course, but even with those boundaries it got a little bit crazy. We were all laughing our heads off. Then the tables turned, masters became servants and vice versa. Being the servant sucked! I was a master first, so I had tasted power, and then to have to obey another person's command, the shame!
Kidding aside, it was an amazing experience and one that many people, especially those assholes we all come across, should do.

No comments:

Post a Comment