My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Monday, March 15, 2010

Kitchen Explorations

I was going to write about Talulah and Tybalt today, but I don't have any good pictures of them, so when I take them out later I'll try to get some that I can post and I'll write about them tomorrow. For today, however, I turn to the endlessly amusing Miss Topkapi.
I took her out this morning, like every morning, and proceeded to give her fresh water in a glass. She drank happily. I then sat down with a book and a cup of coffee to enjoy the morning while she explored a bit. Some days she is very active and other days she curls up in my lap and goes to sleep. Today was the former.
She crawled onto the table to see what was so interesting to take my attention away from her. She started looking around, and it is the cutest thing. She lifts her head and the front part of her body and scans the "horizon" to see where she is. Topkapi has seen our kitchen about 3 billion times, but she still scans it for signs of gold or something. She is discovering new lands and naming them Topkapiland. I kid, I hope.

She walked around the table a bit and then came back to see what I was doing. You know how when you are doing something, be it reading or writing, your cat will always come to lay down right on the page you were focusing on? Yeah, well, snakes are the same way.

And then she saw my coffee cup. What better way to really explore the surroundings than to find the tallest landmark and get on it?

I guess I was done with my coffee. She didn't really drink it, she just flicked out her tongue (that cute pink thing) and realized that it was a human drink. And thank God, can you imagine a snake hopped up on caffeine?
Topkapi is what I would call a chunky snake. All healthy ball pythons are quite heavy and very "round" looking. What makes them extra cute is that they have a pretty small head in comparison to the rest of their body. So, now that she is a bigger snake, I have to hold on to whatever she decides to use as leverage. In this case my Cafe du Monde cup (ahh beignets...)

And coming to say hi to mommy.


So, between holding the coffee cup, making sure Topkapi didn't fall off the table, and admiring how cute she really is, I got very little reading done and I didn't drink too much of my coffee. Mission "Become Center of Attention" was a success, hats off to you Topkapi.

No comments:

Post a Comment