My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Monday, September 27, 2010

Adventures in Dining

Barbossa ate his three mice yesterday. He had problems with all of them.

The first one he grabbed from the middle, so, of course he ended up killing it and then putting it down to rearrange it...and then loosing it. He looked like a guy in a parking lot "now, where did I put that car?" Except he has a superb smelling sense and a tongue designed to pick up exactly where the prey is.
I had to stick my hand in there, which I DO NOT advise anyone to do when a snake is in "feeding mode", but I know my shy baby well enough to know he'd rather chew off his own tail than bite me.
I repositioned the mouse and down it went.

The second one he grabbed by the tail. He's done that before and it takes him a few minutes to realize that the only thing he is constricting is a tail and that he'll get nowhere if he doesn't restrike. Which he did, and ate that mouse also.

The third one he was a little confused on. It was a light brown, spotted mouse. I'd heard before that some snakes are super picky when it comes to even the color of the mice they eat. Some will only eat white ones, others only black ones, etc.
I'd never encountered this behavior before in my snakes, but I saw a little of it yesterday.
Barbossa looked disconcerted. Not sure if it was food or an alien sent to destroy him. After a bit of prodding, he realized it was food and promptly ate him, while I shook my head.

I swear, these snakes will lead me to drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment