My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Thursday, September 16, 2010

Upgrade!

I'm trying a new thing with Maat. My sister brought an article from the wildlife center about feeding reluctant colubrids, which is what Maat, as a corn sake is. This would also include Coral, but thankfully, she likes her food just fine.
One of the recommendations they give in the article is to check and see if the container the snake is in is too big. Snakes live in dens in the wild, so they prefer smaller, more constrained spaces. For an older snake this is no problem, since they are used to being in captivity, but for a really teeny tiny one like Maat, a smaller cage would maybe make her feel safer.

I have a ton of containers, but none of them are really appropriate. I was standing in the snake room, casting my eye around, when I tripped over an idea. What if I switch Tybalt and Talulah into Maat's tank, and put her in their's? The two siblings are getting chunkier by the hour it seems, so a new tank is not such a bad idea. Maat's is roomier so they might, I say might, be tempted to, I don't know, maybe MOVE a bit. Lazy snakes.

So that's what I did. I scrubbed the two cages and placed fresh paper towels in them. I placed Maat inside her new home and she seemed pretty okay with the move.

Tybalt and Talulah, not so much.
They are still up there bemoaning their fate, but hopefully they'll realize their tank is actually bigger. It's an upgrade, guys!
I know it's hard, but have faith in the human who's been taking care of you for a year. Geez.

No comments:

Post a Comment