My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Friday, June 4, 2010

A Beautiful Snake

The last few days have been rough. CocoRosie died on Wednesday. I found her in the morning when I went to turn on her lamp. I don't really want to write too much about it because it still is extremely difficult to think about. She was obviously much sicker than I imagined or that even the vet who examined her thought. It's been a horrible experience and I am devastated by the loss of my little one. Anyone who's ever had a pet can understand what it feels like to see that pet get sick and die. You don't get over it easily, they are not just animals, they have become entwined in the fabric of your household. You feed them, bathe them, and you try to keep them healthy for as long as you can. Their well being and their happiness rests in your hands. That is a huge responsibility and one that weighs heavily on you when your pet gets sick. You ask yourself, was there anything I could have done to prevent this? Most of the time no, there wasn't. Animals can't tell you if they feel sick, or where it hurts, so you try the best you can to be aware of their behaviors so that whatever may arise is caught early, before it can do much damage. Once in a while, especially with the more aloof of animals, you miss the signs and you keep missing them until it's too late.

I will miss my beautiful Everglades rat snake, CocoRosie.

No comments:

Post a Comment