My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Sunday, June 20, 2010

Celebrating Dad

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there in the world! This, of course, includes all the animal dads. I know that they are not known for the way they care for their young, but there are a few out there who help all the mommies to raise the babies. The only one I really knew about was the seahorse, who actually carries the eggs inside him, but I didn't know that the red fox are also excellent dads, as are the marmosets and lions. I always thought that the lions would be aggressive with the new born cubs. I learned something new.

Snakes are not known for their mothering or fathering skills. Most of the time they lay the eggs in a warm, humid spot and then leave. The one exception, however, is the King Cobra. This snake actually makes a nest, and the male and female stay together until the eggs hatch. After that, the babies are on their own. Who's going to mess with a baby cobra anyway?

Yesterday I went to see "Splice". Ok, let me say that I would really like my money back. I only paid for matinee prices but, still $6 for that load of crap?
I checked the reviews before I went. I was debating whether to see "Prince of Persia" or that one, but I always end up choosing a scary movie over an action one when I have the choice. Since I was going alone (my sister doesn't do well with scary movies) I watched "Splice". The critics were kind, they gave it a B, I think. Where they all high that day? Not only is it an insult to scientists, but I also think it is not a movie that needed to be made right now.
Do the ultra-conservatives of the world need to see a movie about humans "playing God" with horrendous consequences? No, I really don't think so. They already have enough fuel.
We need scientist to push the boundaries, to try to find cures for the multiple, crippling diseases that exist. The Gods gave us brains and free will, we need to use them. I just get so mad when people, perfectly healthy people, go on a moral rampage while so much of humanity is withering away. Priorities, people. The Gods will forgive us if we overstep our bounds a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment