My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Sunday, June 13, 2010

Hope

So, there is a chance I might be "acquiring" another snake. There is a debate happening at the wildlife center my sister works at. The carpet python that I mentioned a while ago, the one with neurological problems, is not being taken care of. The reptile expert who examined her prescribed three weeks of daily walks in the sun, to see if that would tempt her to eat. She has not eaten in about 20 weeks. The moron who runs the reptile department, who is not a herpetologist and who is probably in his mid 20s but with the brain of a 10-year old, is NOT following doctor's orders.
My sister called me yesterday while she was at work, because the poor python is not doing well at all. She took her out to walk, the first time in weeks that the snake had seen sunlight, and she said it was horrible to see. She couldn't find which way was up, and she couldn't adjust her body to walk correctly. I was and still am furious. First of all, it is not any one's job but his to take her out walking. That is what he gets paid for, for the love of the Gods. The poor animal is close to dying from starvation, and the person who is in charge of her is being disgustingly cavalier with her health.
There was a meeting with the person who is pretty much the boss of the facility, and my sister and her coworkers brought up the fact that I'd be completely willing to take her. They were debating whether to euthanize her because she's not showing improvement, but if she's not being given the care she needs, how can she get better? This isn't rocket science, people.
I am more than willing to walk her, like I do with Barbossa, and to sit dangling a mouse in front of her face for an hour, if need be. There are a million things I can try to get some calories in her, but I need the snake to be here, in a place where no one is bugging her, and where I can control the environment, including humidity, temperature, light/dark cycle, etc.
I am also willing to "return" her, if and when she starts eating. If they want her back, which I doubt.
They're going to talk about it tomorrow again, so we'll see what happens. I am hopeful, and I am sending all my positive energies so they'll make the right decision and give her a chance to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment