My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Madness! Madness, I say!

Coral is nuts. Bats in the belfry, off her rocker, reality challenged, escaped from the loony bin, few fries short of a happy meal, spinning crop circles, off her meds, someone turned the light off in the penthouse, one plus one doesn't always equal two, coo coo for cocoa puffs, receiver off the hook, gargling with ammonia, stark raving mad.
I walk into the snake room/library this morning and I find one of her sliding doors ajar. It's only open a little bit, so I do not allow panic mode to kick in just yet. I take out her water bowl and her hiding tree so that I can stick my hands through the mulch. Of course, Coral is nowhere to be seen.
I start looking around, under the bookcase, under the desk, etc. All the obviously dark, cool spots that a snake would find attractive. Nothing. As I return closer to her cage I see a little red strip. She was wrapped around one of the large votive candles that I have on my floor. Just hanging out, waiting for the next magical activity, ready to jump in and help from her front row seat. What the hell was she thinking? Even if you hate your cage so much, Coral, why put all the effort to open a door, no mean feat for an animal without appendages, and then slither two feet to the right!? Where's your ambition? If you're going to screw with me, put a little thought into it!
Anyway, I have her safely back in her cage and I've placed pieces of cardboard on the sliding part of the door so that she can't force it open anymore. Unless she's Buffy the Vampire Slayer, that is, of which I have my doubts.

No comments:

Post a Comment