My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Monday, June 7, 2010

Spring-ish Cleaning

Still trying to get everything back to normal after loosing CocoRosie.

Everyone else is doing well. I have Topkapi on my lap as I write this and she is working her way onto the keyboard, so if there are spelling mistakes, you know who to blame.
Yesterday was a cage-cleaning day. I scrubbed, wiped, polished ever cage except for Coral's. I did not have enough mulch for her cage, so I will be doing that either today or tomorrow. They didn't have the mulch which I usually use, which is a fir mulch, so I got the only other kind they had, which was coconut mulch. I'm not a huge fan of it because it is very light, too light, so it doesn't seem to absorb moisture as much as the other kind. Oh well, it'll have to do until next time.
My mom snake-sat while I cleaned. Of course, in typical Miami weather-style, as soon as I dragged the first cage outside, it decided to start pouring. There was thunder, lightening and tons of rain. I did Barbossa's cage and then had to retreat inside while the storm passed. I did Damascus's and Tybalt and Talulah's cages in the bath tub because I didn't want to waste time.
Then, when the sun finally came back out, I finished with Topkapi's cage.
Of course, the snakes found plenty to complain about. They obviously did not enjoy the new type of mulch either. Topkapi got on top of her water bowl and did not want to come down. She kept flicking out her tongue, sniffing at the horrible, poisonous, insulting mulch at her feet, well, coils. A few hours late she had accepted her plight and was sleeping in her regular spot. Their tantrums are incredible.
Even Damascus, who doesn't have mulch in his cage, only newspaper, complained. He curled up into a ball, with his head completely hidden, not wanting to look at the disaster around him. I had just changed his newspaper, not poured hot tar on him, but you wouldn't know it from his behavior.
They are hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment