My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Monday, October 11, 2010

A Mouthful

I fed Barbossa his three mice yesterday.
Why does that snake insist on strangling mulch? He missed the mouse and got a mouthful of wood bark in his mouth and then decided "well, this tastes kind of funny, but if this is what's for dinner, then so be it". Barbossa when has your food ever tasted remotely like coconut bark? I have never slathered the mouse in a tropical sauce or rubbed him against a tree. You're a predator! Get it together!
I had t grab him by the back of the head and pull out the pieces from his mouth. This is much harder than it sounds and should NOT be attempted, EVER. I did it because I know my snake really, really well.
Constrictors have inward-pointing teeth. This helps them hold on to a prey while it struggles. It also makes it incredibly difficult to take away anything that is lodged in their mouths, like, say, coconut mulch.
I had to be really careful because the last thing I wanted was to break one of his teeth. I managed to get all but one piece, which he swallowed. In a snake Barbossa's size, it's no problem, there's very little chance of it getting impacted in his bowels.
He managed to eat the mice without further problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment