My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Close Encounters of the Avian Kind


Ok, this is either the dumbest, the vainest or the most suicidal bird I've ever seen. I was just standing there, reading, while Barbossa did his daily walk around the pool, when I catch movement out of the corner of my eye and look up. I encounter this sight. A little grey jay has decided today is the day to see a snake up close. He was not crying or making any noise at all, just looking at Barbossa, as if he's never seen a snake before. And he probably hasn't. They really are not that common in suburban Florida, although you do encounter garter snakes once in a while. Nothing, however, like my beautiful boa Barbossa.
I expected the bird to look at the snake and then rush off to the safety of the trees, but he had another idea in his head.

He started walking around Barbossa, opening and closing his wings. I think he mistakenly thought he was competing in a multi-species beauty pageant. He kept showing off the patterns on the inside of his wings while Barbossa had a little panic attack nearby. What the hell was he doing?

The poor snake was trying his best to avoid him, he certainly did not want ANYTHING to do with a crazy bird exposing himself to him.
I don't know if the bird felt threatened, although he did not look it in any way, and he surely could not have thought the snake was a mate he had to impress.
I shooed him off so Barbossa could walk without fearing for his life, but as he was turning the corner around the pool, there's the bird again. He hops down from a nearby bush and walks towards my poor baby opening and closing his wings. I took a picture although it is hard to tell where the bird is, so I circled it.

He got so close to the snake! I know Barbossa is not the most ferocious looking snake on the planet, but is a little respect too much to ask for? I was offended for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment