My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Sunday, May 23, 2010

Stranger's Snakes

Yesterday I went to help at the wildlife center my sister works at. Last week, a reptile (among other things) expert went to the center to check up on the animals and he found some of the snakes in appalling conditions. He actually used those words. One of the snakes, a carpet python with neurological problems, was one of these unfortunate babies. She has not eaten in 19 weeks and she is getting dangerously close to being euthanized. The vet said she needs to be taken outside, to exercise a bit and to get sunlight, but the person in charge of the reptiles in the center is a bit of a loser so it falls to other people to do HIS work. I wanted to go yesterday and help a bit with these poor animals. We took the carpet python out and let her walk around for quite a bit. I was actually impressed at how much better she was doing. I had seen her a few months ago, when I was volunteering at the center every Saturday, and the last time she was still struggling to maintain her head straight. The problem she has is neurological, like I said, so she doesn't know which way her head is facing. But yesterday she moved almost normally. I think as long as they continue to take her out on a regular basis she'll get the urge to eat again.
We also had to put a big Burmese python to soak, becaus ehe has some sores on his body. He is huge, but pretty tame so it's not dangerous to grab him or carry him. He behaved like a little ophidian angel. The only problem with grabbing him is his cage-mate, a female Burmese python who has quite a temper. She also just laid eggs, which does not improve her patience with humans.

I saw also a little orphan duckling that someone brought in which was quite possibly the cutest thing that ever quacked. There was nothing wrong with him, other than being an orphan, so they'll send him to live at a duck farm with other duckies. He'll be happy.

I was happy to see the snakes (and all the other animals) at the center. Hopefully the next time I'm back the carpet python will still be there, preferably with a full belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment