My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Friday, May 14, 2010

Feeding Frenzy Friday Part 8

I finished feeding my morning babies. I am really getting concerned about Tybalt. He shed last week, so he should be hungry enough to take the pinkie, but he refused it again. I made sure it was hot enough so he could see it, but still nothing. I don't know why he is not eating. I've gone through the mental checklist of things that could be bothering him: it's not the temperature, it's not the humidity, I've been really careful with the light/dark schedule, I only took him out once this week, so he can't be feeling stressed. What is it? I wish he could tell me so I could fix the problem.
CocoRosie continues to refuse food but she is a grown snake that can go a while without eating so I am not AS concerned, although I am getting there.
Yesterday I received the order of fuzzies in the mail that I bought from RodentPro. I offered one to Damascus today and he took it with gusto (he also ate Tybalt's pinkie). Talulah ate without problem and so did Coral.
Tonight I feed Topkapi and tomorrow Barbossa.

Every time my snakes don't eat I ask myself, why do I put myself through this worry? Don't I have enough on my plate? That lasts about 2 seconds, until I think of what my life would be without their flicking tongues and bossy attitudes and then I feel like the most ungrateful person on the planet. No matter what kinds of troubles or frustrations they add to my life, they are my spoiled babies and I adore them.

I am baking some bread, called Swiss Cinnamon Bread so here is the recipe.

1 packet active dry yeast
1/4 warm water
1/2 cup warm milk
1/4 cup butter
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tbs. sugar
2 eggs

Add the yeast to the water. Let dissolve. Mix milk with butter, let cool and add the yeast mixture. Slowly add the eggs, the salt, sugar. Add the flour. In floured board, knead until the dough is flexible. Place in bowl, butter slightly on top, cover and set in a warm place to rise until doubled.
Knead again. Cut dough into 3 pieces. Roll each piece into strips. Roll the strips in 1/4 cup sugar mixed with 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Braid the strips. Let rise again until doubled. Bake at 350 F. 30-35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment