My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Sick "Red Mamba"

I took Barbossa outside today, eve though the heat was ridiculous. For him it's no issue, but for warm blooded creatures like myself (as much as I like to pretend otherwise), it was like the very pits of hell. He did enjoy himself, so it was worth it.

CocoRosie is sick. A vet has seen her and my poor baby has an infection. At least now I know why she hasn't been eating. I was soooooo sad to hear that she was sick and that it had taken me that long to put two and two together. She has been put on antibiotics, administered by my sister, since she does this on a regular basis, and I hope she is on her way to a quick recovery. To give her the antibiotic injection, we have to catch her every night. This is not as easy as it sounds. Remember how I said she was a bit of a bully? Yeah, well, let's just say sickness has not helped her disposition. I have to catch her with a snake hook, which I HATE do, because snakes really hate them and I feel like I'm stressing her out more than is necessary. If she were a bit more tame, like my other babies, I could just hold her while she gets her injection, but not with CocoRosie the self-proclaimed "Red Mamba". I have to remind myself every time I see her hissing or rearing up in anger and fear that it is for her own good. Without the medication she would die. That is my mantra.
I also have to soak her every day but this does not seem to annoy her quite as much. She is pissed when I grab her, but she relaxes in the luke-warm water. For cold-blooded animals, if it feels hot or cold to our skin, it's too cold or too hot for them. Always aim for neutral, or luke-warm water.
I let her soak half an hour and then the whole rodeo begins again. She is going to hate me forever.
It's for her own good, it's for her own good, it's for her own good...

No comments:

Post a Comment