My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Sunday, July 11, 2010

Amusing Children

I almost wrote autistic children. Jeez.

I went yesterday to help at the wildlife center. The snakes look a bit better than they did last time. Mostly, it's because my sister took it upon herself to arrange the cages so that they had more and better hiding spots. Nothing makes a snake more anxious than being constantly visible to anything that passes by their cage.
While I was cleaning, checking for feces, etc. a man and his two daughters walk up to the reptile hut and start looking at the snakes. At that moment I was working on the pine snake cage. The smallest girl asks me why I have keys and why I am opening the door to the cages. I told her that I was making sure everyone had water, was okay and had a clean cage. She seemed very interested. She asked me if the snake would see if she put her hat on (she had one of those really floppy sun hats), I told her no, the snake could not see the hat. She proceeded to put it on anyways, I guess to make sure I wasn't lying. Not bad, find things out for yourself, not because someone tells you it's so.
The older girl told me that she had seen a black snake, just like the Indigo that's in the center, I asked her, knowing how rare these snakes are, if it was as big as the one in the museum. Behind her, her father made a negating gesture with his head. She said, well, no not quite that big. It was very amusing.

Barbossa ate today. They were really crazy mice. One of them kept jumping all over the cage. Finally I had to grab him with the feeding tongs so that Barbossa could get him. Cruel, but it must be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment