My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Monday, July 12, 2010

Eggs and Swans

No, not Bella.

The Burmese Python in the wildlife center is about to become a mom! She had laid a number of eggs a while ago, but they had looked like they were unfertilized, which has happened before with this particular snake. Snakes incubate their eggs by coiling up around them, like any other animal does, except for one tiny, little detail: snakes have no body heat. So, to provide warmth for her eggs, the momma snake starts making her muscles contract, making them twitch, which creates friction, which creates warmth for her babies. Nature is amazing. We think we're so smart.
Anyway, she got off the eggs today, and the staff checked on the condition of the babies. They seem to be fine, and they are now being incubated for the remainder of the week.
It's so exciting!

I started reading "The Swan Thieves" by Elizabeth Kostova. I had read her previous book "The Historian" and loved it so I picked this one up from the library on Saturday. So far, it is not disappointing. Good, concise prose and a quick but clear plot that keeps your attention on the characters. I'm not even halfway through, but I can already tell I am going to love this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment