My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Famine

I ran out of dog food this morning. Yes, the supermarket is only a few blocks away, but do you know how damn hot it is outside? I do not have a death wish, thank you very much.
Of course, the dogs, all three of them, are acting as if the famine had reached Miami. They come and whine at me, then they go lick their empty, sad bowls as if I were purposely hiding their food.
I am boiling them some pasta so that I am not followed around by wide puppy-dog eyes (you know the ones I mean) all day long. They love pasta so there should be no complaints.

I took Barbossa out this morning and he refused to move. At all. I was sitting there like an idiot watching what could have easily been a snake made out of marble. He did not even deign to flick his tongue out.

I am probably going to be baking this afternoon. I have my eye set on a particular bread recipe, so I'll post it if I do it and also, hopefully, a good picture.

Here is the recipe for nut filled sweet bread:

3 1/4 cups flour
1/3 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup warm water
1 package fast-active yeast
2 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
For filling:
1 1/4 cup chopped pecans
2 tbsp. butter

Place yeast in warm water, let dissolve. Add sugar, milk, eggs, egg yolk, butter, salt. Slowly add the flour. Knead and place in a warm place to rise until doubled (about two hours). While the dough rises, place chopped pecans in skillet with the butter and cook until browned.
Knead bread again. Make dough into whatever shape you like, and spread filling on one side of it. Fold the other part of the dough over the filling and let rise in warm place until double, again. Bake at 325 F. 30-35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment