My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Thursday, July 1, 2010

People of the Plague

I'm reading a great book called "Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague", by Geraldine Brooks. It was her first novel, and it is beautifully written. I'm only half-way through but it is the kind of writing that completely immerses you in the era, the characters, all of it. Very briefly, it is about a town that gets infected with the bubonic plague and decides to seal itself off completely from the neighboring towns to avoid spreading the disease. It focuses on three characters, a maid, a pastor and his wife.
I've read one other of her books "People of the Book", which I still think about with awe. So well written and planned out. I got it from the library and I still haven't bought it, although I mean to as soon as I can.

Of course, with Topkapi around, it's pretty hard to read much of anything since she requires constant attention and lays exactly on the page I'm reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment