My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Thursday, July 15, 2010

Tale of the Tail

I walked into the snake room/library this morning, minding my own business, getting ready to go to a voice lesson, when I see Coral trying to escape. Yet again. She was pushing her little snout against the edge of the glass sliding door. I could almost see her little brain working: "I did it once before, I can do it again!"
I thought we were past all that. I thought we were getting to be good friends Coral, why do you have to go and mar our budding friendship?
Yes, it's a bit melodramatic, but it was kind of what I felt for a split second, before logic could give me a swift kick in the backside.
I made sure she couldn't escape and went on my way, still a bit disappointed.

I just saw the strangest thing on TV. I was watching "Snake Wranglers" on Nat Geo Wild, and it was an episode about Malaysian Pit Vipers, who by the way, are gorgeous, and the featured herpetologist was trying to catch some for research. Everything was fine, until I saw how she was getting DNA samples. She actually cuts the tip of their tails off! The narrator said that it was a "harmless cut", but she was actually sawing off the tip of the tail, how can that be harmless?! Wouldn't it be easier to get a sample of blood for DNA? It worried me a bit. I have never seen that before, and it seems a bit excessive. How would you like someone to come and cut off a toe for DNA samples?

No comments:

Post a Comment