My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Birthday Boy

Today is Barbossa's birthday!!! I don't know exactly when he came out of his mother's belly (boas are viviparous, which means they give birth to live young, not eggs), but today is the day that I got him two years ago. So this is the day I celebrate for him. It really doesn't feel like two years. He is such a good animal, such a joy to have, that time has flown by. I can't really give him anything as a gift, I'm pretty sure he would freak if I put, for example, a stuffed bear in his cage, or God forbid, balloons, so I'll take him out for a longer walk outside this afternoon. He will really enjoy that. So for now, I raise my glass to salute the gentlest snake in the world, may he live many, many years more.

Last night I finished reading a great book called "The Pillars of the Earth" (I know it's supposed to be underlined, but I'm too lazy) by Ken Follett. He wrote it a while ago, and I've always heard great things about it, but I just had the chance to start reading it. I bought it in a little, stuffed-to-the-gills, bookshop in the French Quarter in New Orleans.
If you haven't read this book, do so! It is so well written, so well thought out, and so entertaining that it is completely worth it. The premise could dissuade some people, since it does take place in Medieval Times, but trust me, you will NOT be bored one second.
They're making it into a mini-series soon, so I am looking forward to seeing that. The cast looks good, maybe not quite what the book described, but I'll try to be open-minded.
Follett recently wrote a continuation of Pillars, called "World Without End" which I am going to start reading as soon as I get through the pile of library books in my room.

No comments:

Post a Comment