My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Friday, April 16, 2010

Feeding Frenzy Friday Part 5

Tybalt refused to eat again today. I am in code orange, a mild state of panic. I don't know why he hasn't eaten. There is no reason: he's not shedding, he is not sick (that I know of), the temperature in his cage is the same as always, etc. I paid special attention this whole week to the light/dark schedule because I know he is very sensitive to that, and yet...nothing. Snakes can spend a lot of time without food, but he is still very young and he needs all the nutrients he can get. This coming week I'm going to abstain from handling him, just in case I'm stressing him out a bit. I don't think that's the reason because he always seems to enjoy walking around. We'll see next week. Arrrrrghhhh!
All the other snakes ate without problem, which is good for my nerves. Talulah actually ate two mice since Tybalt refused his. Usually I give the extras to Damascus, but today feisty Talulah was eying the pinkie, so why not? She seemed very happy and full when I checked up on her before turning off the lights.

I'm in my room and I have a gardenia flower on my altar, and I can smell that erfume all the way across the room. The gardenia plant in our backyard is in full bloom and it is just gorgeous. There is nothing like the smell of these flowers.

Today I also baked some yummy Sticky Lemon Rolls. They are a bit like cinnamon rolls, but flavored with lots of lemon except cinnamon.
Here is the recipe:

For dough:

1 envelope dry active yeast
3/4 cup lukewarm milk
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 1/2 cups flour
1/2 ts. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 eggs
1/2 lemon

For filling:
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
1/2 lemon
3 tbsp. butter

For glaze:
4 ounces cream cheese
juice of one lemon
1 cup powdered sugar

Place yeast with warm milk. Let rise a few minutes, then add sugar, butter, vanilla extract, 1 cup of flour. Mix well, then add salt, nutmeg, lemon zest of 1/2 lemon, eggs, and the rest of the flour. Knead well, cover and let rise an hour.

For filling, mix sugar, nutmeg, powdered ginger, zest of 1 lemon, and juice of 1/2 a lemon.

Stretch dough out into a rectangle, brush with 3 tbsp. butter, pour filling inside and roll dough u tightly. Cut into slices, place in baking pan and let rise again 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Bake 35 minutes.

For glaze cream the cream cheesem add juice of 1/2 a lemon and powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment