My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Liquid Trust


I just can't get enough of Topkapi drinking water. She does it every day, but I always find it astounding and also a bit flattering that she trusts me enough to drink, not only when I am around, but when I am actually holding her. Most of my other babies don't let me do this. For the first year I had him, I never saw Barbossa drink. I knew he did because his bowl's water level would go down but I never saw him. One time I almost did but as soon as he felt my footsteps he froze. Now, at least, he lets me watch him while he drinks. I can't get too close, but I can be in the same room. I've seen both Talulah and Damascus drink, but they both get too hyper when I'm holding them. CocoRosie has let me hold her while she drinks a few times. For a few months she's been unusually cranky so it has not been repeated, but I have hopes for the future. I would like to achieve that level of trust with all my snakes.

Yesterday my sister and I went to see Rachael Sage. The concert went really well. She played and sang some great songs and we had a good time. The venue was also cute, kind of a lounge style room, with a buffett and bar, and the audience had tables with tablecloths and everything. I was also surprised at age demographic of the audience. We were the youngest ones there. Rachael Sage must be about 30 so, why is her audience so much older? She is an Indie singer so I expected a room full of mid-20s people. Very strange. I got to talk to her and I got her autograph, which is very cool. Now I just have to meet Tori Amos (my musical obsession).

I have a cake in the oven right now, so I'll share the recipe

Maple Cake

2 cups flour
1 1/2 tdp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup maple syrup
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg

Preheat oven to 325 F. Mix dry ingredients, set aside. Mix maple syrup and milk, set aside. Cream butter and sugar, then add the egg. Add the wet and dry ingredients alternating, in two parts each. Pour into prepared pan. bake 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment