My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Sunday, April 18, 2010

Soap Bubbles

Happy Sunday! I know there's nothing special today, no holiday or celebration but it's such a gloomy day, it looks like it's going to rain the whole afternoon, that I need to put a little pep in my step (or blog), artificially if needed be. The old grin and bear it. I do see my gardenias in full bloom, so that is a huge boost.
Yesterday Barbossa ate his two mice. When I put the first one in he refused to even flick his tongue out. He was still as a stone and gave no indication of being hungry. I didn't understand why...until I lifted his basket out of the way. He had pooped, and he refused to eat in a dirty cage. Granted, who would? So I scooped up his waste and within minutes he had killed and eaten his two mice. Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Those Christians are a funny lot.

Speaking of cleaning, this morning I scrubbed Talulah's and Tybalt's cage. My sister was in charge of babysitting the two boas while I put their cage in hot, soapy water. It wasn't filthy, but I still feel better when cages look super sparkly. When I was sure there was no soapy residue or smell, I dried it and placed fresh paper towels inside. I made sure there were a lot of pockets for the babies to hide in. I also scrubbed their water bowl, because in the Miami humidity, I see algae every few days growing on the bowl. I know that algae is what started life on this planet, and I am very thankful for that, but I don't want it growing on my snake's bowls.

Last night I finished reading Fortunata y Jacinta. It was a very good book with a sad ending. I borrowed it from the library and when I first picked it up, it looked sparkling white. I don't think anyone had ever read it. The spine was intact, and when a book is as fat as this one is, that usually means no one has even opened it. If you see the poor book now, you would think it's been through the apocalypse. I do not kid. At least it looks well read. I actually fixed it up a bit yesterday because I don't want to be banned from the library, branded as the "Book Slaughterer". Let's see if I get away with book murder.

No comments:

Post a Comment