My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Thursday, April 1, 2010

In the Bayou

A few hours ago, my family and I rented and watched "The Princess and the Frog". We are geeks and love most of the animated Disney movies and we own pretty much all the old ones. Actually today we also bought the "Alice in Wonderland", you know, the one that is not a waste of time aka the Tim Burton one.
Well, this new cartoon is great. My sister and I recently went to New Orleans and we enjoyed it very much, so anything as Voodoo and Jazz infused as this movie was a must-see. We were not disappointed. It had good music and was super cute. And of course, there was a snake who shockingly was not the villain! Since pythons are such an integral part of the Voodoo religion I expected to see one in the movie (another reason why I wanted to watch it) but I assumed it would be portrayed in the typical negative fashion. But no, this one, whose name is Juju, was actually a sweet, caring, and funny character. I could only think of my beautiful Topkapi.
When we were in New Orleans, my sister and I went to visit a real, functioning Voodoo temple, and we met the high priestess. She practiced in her own house and every room was full to the brim with offerings and statues that represented a million different things. She also had, as every Voodoo priestess must, a python. She had a small ball python, who was in her own beautiful wooden cage, surrounded by different objects and tokens of affection and gratitude. I love to see animals respected and worshipped. As you can tell, that is business as usual at my house.

My babies have behaved really well today. Topkapi almost fell off my bed today, but I was able to catch her at the last moment so everything's as it should be. I've been trying to get a picture of Coral for a few days now, but I'm usually alone in the house and she is just a speed machine. She is just gorgeous, so I wish I could put one up. Oh, and she finished shedding today, so she looks extra pretty with her new coat of paint.

Today was the last official rehearsal before the dress rehearsal for the play I'm a part of. It went pretty well, some people still forgot lines, but nothing major. On Monday we have a long, long day of tech rehearsals, which includes lighting, costuming, etc. Just the superficial aspect of the play, so hopefully everyone is prepared by then so we don't have to worry about anyone standing there with egg on his or her face.

No comments:

Post a Comment