My experiences as a snake owner and as a snake enthusiast. With a healthy potpourri of other stuff...




Monday, April 12, 2010

Wincing Snake


I was able to take Barbossa walking around my room today. He was disappointed that we didn't go outside but it was a little too chilly for him. It has been really warm for the past few days, so the change of weather today took me by surprise.
Barbossa is looking gorgeous, with his fabulous new scales and he seems quite proud of them. New scales do not equal new courage, he is still a little coward. While I was sitting with him on the floor, I was working on my monologue (which is due tomorrow, by the way) and I kept picking up the notebook to check on my memorization skills, and every time I moved he would wince. As if I took a broom to him on a usual basis. Come on Barbossa, I have never and will never purposely hurt you!

Yesterday my mom and I discovered that Vincent, our new rat, doesn't drink water. He is so used to the dropper that he had in the pet store, that he doesn't know how to drink from a bowl. I was flabbergasted. He looks at the water, touches the water, but he doesn't drink it! So, for the past day and a half, I have been giving him water from a syringe. I am his own personal dropper. It's amazing the way that their mind works, because he kept licking one of the bowls that have a metal edge. He thought that, since the droppers are usually made with a metal top, this particular piece of metal would also give him water. Poor thing.

I said I was going to bake today, but I actually baked yesterday. I made chocolate croissants and hazelnut-orange croissants. It was very easy. I copped out and bought frozen puff pastry (give me a break, last week was a long one) which I defrosted and stretched out. I cut into rectangles, then triangles and put a piece of chocolate in the widest part of each triangle. I rolled them up, brushed them with egg yolk, and baked them for about 20 minutes in 375 F. oven.
For the other version I just substituted the chocolate with a 140 g. bag of hazelnuts (I put them in the blender and hit the pulse button) and half a cup of orange marmalade. Mix this all up, and place a dollop in each triangle.
Most of the croissants are gone, so there are no pictures, but they looked fancy and tasted great.

No comments:

Post a Comment